Friday, April 29, 2011

TGIF: The Stand Alone vs. Series Smackdown

Wanna hear something weird? This is the LAST Friday in April!

And for this last Friday in April, Miss Ginger at GReads! has posed the following question:

Stand Alone vs. Series: What's Your Stance?

This is actually something I've never really given a lot of thought to. But now that I'm thinking about it, I do tend to read books that are a part of a larger series. Off the top of my head, I am currently in the midst of reading The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, The Curse Workers, the Angelfire series, and The Gallagher Girls books...there are probs more than that, but I've been watching the NFL Draft all night and my mind is NOT currently focused on books. Anyway! I think the reason I'm attracted to book series is because I really get to know the characters. I'm able to invest in them and their world, and I grow with the characters throughout the books. I can obsess about them and add the next book's release date to my Google calendar and get into discussions with other fans (or non-fans) about the books, too. There's something deliciously intoxicating about the buzz that surrounds series.

HOWEVER.

Some of my favorite books, both in general and thus far this year, are stand alone titles. There's something really nice about reading a book cover to cover and having that sense of finality that comes at the end. There's not an annoying cliffhanger or a huge amount of time you have to wait just to get the next book in the series. It's over and done with and you know how you felt about it and that is THAT.

In sum, it's not like I choose what to read based on whether or not it's part of a series. I'm the worst smackdowner ever.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I don't choose a book based on the fact that it may be a stand alone or series. It's the story that I am after. If it's interesting, then I'll give it a go -- whether it be part of a series or not.

    TGIF!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not a bad smackdown. Simply not a topic that is really smackdownable. I agree with you that the content should be more important than if it is a series or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way. I just sort of read whatever looks good at the time, series or not! But I do get frustrated reading an amazing book, with a cliffhanger ending, that I then have to wait a year+ to conclude the story. I also might avoid a series if it already has more than say 6-7 books available already (this happens more w/ adult titles though). Because I'll want to read them all at once, and it will take over my life. Being both impatient, and a book lover is not a good mix.

    ReplyDelete