Friday, June 10, 2011

TGIF: YA Saves

So, this has been a fairly fraught week in the YA world. On  Saturday, the Wall Street Journal published an article by Meghan Cox Gurdon who decided to assess the state of YA literature and determined that it's too dark and too violent and gives troubled teens ideas of how to off themselves or otherwise wreak havoc on their lives.

*groan*

So naturally, Ginger over at GReads! has asked:


How do you feel about the "dark" books filling our YA shelves today?


They don't bother me one bit.

I hate censorship. I hate when people want to discount or water down the teenage experience. And I hate when people point fingers and talk shit about things that they haven't properly researched.

Luckily, the WSJ is a respectable newspaper, and have published a seriously moving piece written by YA author Sherman Alexie, who wrote The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian. Go read it. It's awesome.

AND NOW I'm going to go prepare for my sister to come to NYC this weekend. I hope y'all have all had freaking fantastic week and that your weekend is going to be as much fun as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment