Friday, July 8, 2011

TGIF: The Put-Downables

Oh, Fridays. How I like you. *pets Fridays*

This week the lovely Ginger over at GReads! has asked:

What was the last book you couldn't finish 
(or had a hard time finishing)?


Now, I tend to be one of those people who finishes things—I hate quitting and once I start a book, I normally finish it. HOWEVER, there have been a couple notable exceptions to this.

Please note that I'm not saying that these books are bad or that they shouldn't be read—that is absolutely NOT what I a saying. I would, in fact, encourage you to go out and read these and tell me how silly I am to have put them down.


Most recently:


The Explosionist by Jenny Davidson

I actually really LIKED this book, but every time I picked it up I just couldn't bring myself to read it. It was WEIRD. Perhaps I should give it another try.



The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird

I just couldn't focus on this one. I really, really wanted to read it, but it just wasn't happening. However, this was one of the first books I tried to read on my Kobo, so maybe that had something to do with it? Who knows.

Most famously:

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein

I have tried to read this book on MANY occassions, and just can't get through it. Tolkein's writing is so long and detailed and circuitous that by the time I reach the end of a sentence, I don't even freaking remember what the beginning said! Which is really just too bad since this is supposed to be awesome. But. For some reason Tolkein and I just don't jive. Sorry Tolkein.


So there you have it. The books I just couldn't get myself through. Now, I'd really be interested in hearing from those of you who HAVE read. Please tell me all the reasons why I should give them another shot in comments. :)


4 comments:

  1. I totally understand about The Hobbit! I had to read it for my top 100 challenge and it probably took me a month to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you for even trying to read The Hobbit! That stuff scares the crap out of me, haha. Unfortunately I stay away from a lot of classic books because I have a hard time jiving with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Hobbit..that being said..I read it when I was a wayward teenager..Im not sure I would read it now..I can understand it could get daunting ..I usually hate classic books..apparently I am not intelligent enough to understand them LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Hobbit. When I read books like that, I have to set small goals and read them along with other, more upbeat, funner books. (Like book polygamy. Pardon the crass term. I hate that term, but I hear that is what it is called.) Maybe if you every try it again, try it that way? Those long ones are really tough to me when I try and just barrel through them.

    That's really funny that you liked the first book but didn't want to read it. :) I've wanted to like books before, but sometimes I think I set myself up for failure when I set my expectations too high. That doesn't happen very often, but it breaks my heart when it does.

    ReplyDelete