Friday, August 19, 2011

TGIF: The Reviews I Didn't Write

Well hello there.

This week, Ginger at GReadsBooks has asked:

"Have you ever read a book and not wanted to review it? Are some books too personal that we want to keep our thoughts our own?" 

 There are actually a bunch of books I've read and then decided to not review. Most of the time it's because I've either not been sure what to say or I didn't really have anything to say, if that makes any sense. 

I'll give you an example(s). 


I'm a huge fan of the wonderful Miss Cassandra Clare and really love The Mortal Instruments series, just like the rest of the YA-reading world. So when City of Fallen Angels came out back in April, I devoured the book. But when I finished, there had been SO MUCH buzz and discussion and chatter about COFA that I realized a) other people had already said the things that I thought about the book, many times better than I could, and b) I had nothing interesting or original to contribute to the discussion. And so I read it, tweeted about it a bit, and then moved on. 



Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods series is another good example. I only recently read them and I LOVE them. OMG. But I never reviewed them because a) they'd been out for YEARS, and b) I wasn't really even sure how to go about reviewing them. My review would basically have said, "So, there's this series about vampires/angels, but it is also sort of Gossip Girl-ish in approach, and I totally dig it." However. I will probably post a review of Lost in Time when it comes out next month, even if the review is just "AJFKDJFIUIOELH$#**%^%& I LOVE THIS SERIES." *grins*

Another group of books I've never really written about on this blog are books that aren't considered YA. For example, I recently read Kathryn Stockett's The Help and Lev Grossman's The Magicians. While I probably wouldn't have reviewed The Help, as I'm glad I read it but don't necessarily have much to say about it, and I actually do have thoughts on The Magicians . . . but I'm not sure if it necessarily fits in with the tone and audience of this particular blog? But, then again. It's MY blog. So maybe you'll see a review of The Magicians on here in the next week or so. Who knows!

So. Yeah. I tend to post reviews of books for which I have concrete thoughts—good or bad—that can actually be explained in a mostly coherent manner. And I've never come across a book that was too personal for me to write about. At least not yet. But I'm fairly forthcoming about stuff like that, so I don't necessarily think that would be an issue for me. 

Anyhow! The moral of the story is I tend to not review books that I either like a whole bunch or don't know how to review. Because, let's be honest, sometimes you just think "I liked it." or "I didn't like it." and that's all there really is to say. 

I hope y'all had a freakin' fantabulous week and that you have a very relaxing weekend planned! TGIF! 

3 comments:

  1. The only book that I read that was just too personal to give a proper review, was The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I did however devote a post to it after I read the book. I felt the need to share my thoughts, but not exactly critique it? If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With CoFA, my sister said the exact same thing! I still haven't read it myself :)

    I agree with you completely on sometimes just liking a book or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG if you don't decide to review The Magicians then we at least need to have a convo about it. I read it a while back and I feel like I need to talk about it haha. PS have you gotten The Magician King yet? It j came out. Its on my list =)

    ReplyDelete