Friday, September 16, 2011

TGIF: Book Disappointments

Y'all! It is currently 53 degrees in New York!

53!!!!!

*happy dances* *prepares to bake many pumpkin-flavored things this weekend*

 Anyway, for this very cool Friday, Ginger at GReadsBooks has asked:

 Have you ever come across a book you were so stoked to read, but it failed miserably in your eyes?

Oh boy.

Well, the answer is very much yes. But, just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that it isn't someone else's favorite book in the whole entire universe and they think it's brilliant and awesome and perfect. So, keep that part in mind. And if I mention a book that you ADORE, feel free to berate me and/or defend the book in comments. :)


Die for Me by Amy Plum 
This book was very meh for me. I didn't love the main character OR her love interest and was far more interested in the supporting characters. However, if you are a Francophile, read this book for Plum's scene setting skills.But only do it if you have enough money to buy a spur-of-the-moment flight to Paris.


Wings by Aprilynne Pike
This is the book that taught me faeries are NOT my thing.






I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
If you ever want to hear/see me lose my ever-loving mind, ask me about James Frey. That being said, I read this book ANYWAY because my curiosity got the best of me. And while the story is compelling, I felt that there was far too much filler and that the story could have been cut down about a hundred pages or so.




The last four Pretty Little Liars books by Sara Shepard
WHYYYYY did they contract for eight books?! WHY?! They should have done it in six. Because there were definitely two whole books where all I could think was "I really don't care about any of this, just tell me WHO THE EFF A IS!!!!!" And now Shepard's writing four more. I really have no idea what they will be about. But TWELVE books is about six too many for a series. SRSLY.


The Carrie Diaries by Candance Bushnell
Like every other woman on the planet, I adored Sex and the City the TV series. And I really like Candace Bushnell's writing. So when I heard about the YA prequels Bushnell was writing, I FREAKED OUT. Because that was the part of the story I'd always wanted—how did these four very different women meet and become friends? But the first book was all about Carrie in high school and for the most part is was really really really REALLY boring. But it ended well. So I'm kind of curious to pick up the second book.

All right, those are the books I'm going to rag on. I hope everyone has plans to have a lovely lovely weekend! And if you're going to be at Brooklyn Book Festival on Sunday, let me know on the Twitters! @bethanyelarson

TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by Ginger at GReadsBooks.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with the I am Number Four/James Frey statement. I read it before I knew that it was really written by him. I couldn't finish A Million Little Pieces...and I tried several times. I liked Die For Me and Wings, but the others I haven't read. Though I do like the PLL show. :)

    Happy TGIF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Die for me..but I understand your reaction to it. My favorite character wasn't the main ones, it was Jules, Vincents best friend.He kept the book interesting to me, he was funny. How do you not love a man with a sense of humor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw "I am number four" in another TGIF post. I said there that the reason I was turned off with this book was because I saw the movie first and I thought he movie was just so bad. Remind me not to watch the movie BEFORE reading the book ;)

    New follower btw :)

    Here's my post: http://www.jjireads.com/2011/09/tgif-and-flove-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I just finished The Power of Six, the second in the I am Four series. I'll totally agree with you that the writing is bad. The dialogue is simply gag-me-with-a-spoon! But then there's all that action...and the plot. Why oh why do I enjoy the series?! lol, honestly I have the hardest time reviewing it because everything I say makes it sound like I hated it...and yet I am biting at the bit for the third!

    P.S. So funny that I actually was inspired by you for my Power of Six review...look for a link-back on the post ;)

    P.P.S. Insanely jealous of your 53 degree, pumpkin loving. Still 90 something in FL...honestly sipping on my iced pumpkin coffee dreaming of being a part of your baking weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't get into Die For Me or Wings either... and I love faery books! Both of those were actually rare DNFs for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower here!

    I was really disappointed in Wings too. I heard so many great things about it but I walked away from the book thinking "Really?!". And faeries ARE my thing...usually...so that made the disappointment that much worse for me.

    Here are my Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Die for Me!!!??? NOOOOOO! I loved that book! I also enjoyed I Am Number Four :( But I haven't read Wings yet even though I own the first 3 books and even an ebook of it. I have read the first Pretty Little Liars book and I kind of enjoyed it, but I never want to read the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate that you didn't enjoy DIE FOR ME and WINGS! I really liked DIE FOR ME and the world Amy Plum created. WINGS was another book I liked. I don't care about the MC too much, but Tamani won me over!

    ReplyDelete