Friday, September 2, 2011

TGIF: Books That Make a Difference



Well hello there new TGIF graphic. You are nice lookin'. *low whistles* 


This week the oh-so lovely Ginger at GReadsBooks has asked: 


Which book(s) would you put in the hands of today's teenagers in hopes of making a difference in their lives?


Questions like there are always really hard for me to answer. Part of it is because I tend to avoid books that tackle difficult subjects (yes, that means I haven't read Thirteen Reasons Why) and those are the types of books that I expect a lot of people would recommend. So I'm going to recommend books that I think help make people better. Or at least, books that help people have a greater sense of understanding or humanity. 

Consequently, these are the types of books that a lot of teens think of as "required reading." But whatever. These required for a reason, and that's because they're good. So! Here we go!

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne



Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


The Awakening by Kate Chopin



To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 



A Separate Peace by John Knowles



Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan



Alright, I'm gonna stop there. Although, I should probably add in Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart and Sandra Cisneros' The House on Mango Street. And Voltaire. And Dickens. And more women. And The Beats. But. If I start naming EVERYTHING I think has the ability to make a difference in a person's life, then we'll be here from now 'til kingdom come. So let's call it a day shall we? *grins*

I hope that y'all have all had a wonderful week and that you're gearing up for a languorous long weekend! TGIF!

6 comments:

  1. I remember reading The Great Gatsby in high school & LOVING it. Next to The Outsiders, it's probably my most favorite "required reading" from back then. Great choices & TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG THE OUTSIDERS. HOW COULD I FORGET THAT ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked classics, too. Fahrenheit 451 was, and always will be, one of my favorite books.

    New follower. Stop by & check out my TGIF if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked The Great Gatsby too! I love that story! I have been wanting to read Will Grayson/Will Grayson. I have heard great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are the second I've seen to pick Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I seriously need to do that book! And I totally agree with the classics, though I'll admit that a lot of them I almost enjoyed more as an adult than as a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to read Will Grayson Will Grayson! :) Excellent list!

    ReplyDelete